DxO DOP7+ EDoF: An Ultra Low Cost Alternative to Autofocus
New cameras are needed to meet all the user needs
As quality and ease of use of cameras in phone improves, the usage customers make of it are getting diversified. They include traditional memory shots, once done in a large part with single use cameras with wide depth of filed allowing sharp shots in any situation by any user. But they also include new use cases enabled by connectivity: instant sharing (pictures of children sent to the family, self portraits…), or even bar code reading, allowing for instance checking easily the best price for a product.
Meeting all these use cases is quite challenging:
- Size and cost constraints make the solutions used for digital cameras not usable in phones
- Traditional camera architectures used in phones based on fixed focus or Auto-Focus cannot cover all the use cases and constraints
|Use case||Fixed focus 3Mpix||Fixed focus 5Mpix and above||Auto Focus|
|Thin phone||Yes||Yes||No, too large|
|Low cost mainstream smartphone||Yes||Yes||No, too expensive|
|Instant sharing (moving children...)||Yes||Yes||No, focusing above 1s makes instant capture useless|
|Memory shots (people in front of monument, landscape...)||Yes||Yes||No, limited depth of field|
|Self portrait||Yes||No, limited depth of field||Yes|
|Bar code reading||No, limited depth of field||No, limited depth of field||Yes|
DxO DOP7+ extended depth of field meets the user needs
DxO DOP7+, the latest generation of our Extended Depth of Field (EDoF) technologies, meets the increasingly challenging requirements of smartphones in term of cost, image quality, and size. It provides 2x performance improvement in terms of depth of field compared to the previous DxO DOP generations which have already shipped in high volume.
DxO DOP7+ leverages DxO Labs’ leading position for EDoF technologies. DOP7+ provides instant focus and allows for reading 0.25mm 1D and 2D bar codes at short distances, while delivering autofocus-like image quality at infinity at a much lower cost than autofocus for 3Mpixel to 8Mpixel cameras.
|Use case||DxO DOP7+|
|Low cost mainstream smartphone||Yes|
|Instant sharing (moving children...)||Yes|
|Memory shots (people in front of monument, landscape...)||Yes|
|Bar code reading||Yes|
DxO DOP7+: Crisp image from close distances to infinity
Nokia N86 AF
Nokia N86 AF
Nokia N86 AF
Nokia N86 AF
DxO DOP7+ key benefits include:
- Best image quality: crisp image from short distances to infinity with natural rendering and no artifacts;
- Full support for machine reading applications: 0.25mm 1D and 2D bar code scan, A4 document scan, business card scan;
- Lower cost than autofocus: no actuator, plastic lens, standard lens and camera module manufacturing process, yield improvement, lenses available from multiple sources, low-footprint silicon;
- Best user experience: instant focus with no shutter lag; always in focus, including in low light;
- Easy integration: sensor noise untouched;
- Compatibility with latest pixels, including BSI and 1.1µ pixels.
DxO DOP in your system
DxO DOP7+ is available in two versions:
- As a soft RTL IP that can be integrated either in a sensor or in a processor chip;
- As a firmware plug-in running on any chip, including DxO IPC or DxO ISP.
DxO DOP is available in several chips from several silicon vendors, covering resolutions from 3 to 8 megapixels.
Camera module with DxO DOP
DxO Labs partners with leading optics manufacturers to design and promote innovative optical systems based upon DxO DOP. By transferring some its intellectual property to the optical manufacturers, DxO Labs enables the manufacturers to design and manufacture their own lenses that are compatible with DxO DOP7+ technology.
Learn more thanks to this scientific article published in Photonics Spectra.